The Domanicoid high-carbon formation, represented by the alternation of clay-siliceous-carbonate rocks with an increased content of organic matter, covers the stratigraphic interval from the Sargayev horizon of the Upper Devonian to the lower Tournaisian stage of the Lower Carboniferous and is widespread in the east of the East European platform. The article presents the results of seismostratigraphic and cyclostratigraphic analyzes, based on the outcome thereof a regional geological model of the formation of the Domanicoid complex was developed. In the structure of the Middle Frasnian-Tournaisian Domanicoid deposits, three distinct areas were identified, differing in composition, structure, thickness and formation conditions, namely a carbonate platform, slopes, and an intrashelf depression. The revealed cyclicity in the structure of the studied complex implied that the section consisted of 4 large cyclites of the second order, the accumulation of which occurred at the stage of sea level rise on the background of general regression. Analysis of the material composition of the sediments made it possible to identify different sedimentation environments and typical sections of these areas within each cycle. The sides of the depression are composed of limestones of the shallow-water shelf, and the slopes are an alternation of detrital limestones, clayey limestones, and mixed siliceous-carbonate and carbonate-siliceous rocks. The deep-sea basin (intrashelf depression) is characterized by uncompensated sedimentation of mixed siliceous-carbonate and carbonate-siliceous rocks, with a high organic matter content (average content over 2.5 %), with which an area of Domanicoid high-carbon formation prospects is associated. The zones of the predominant development of these deposits, ranked according to the degree of prospects, have been determined. The zone of high prospects has the total thickness of high-carbon siliceous-carbonate and carbonate-siliceous rocks reaches 90–140 m and is mainly distributed in the central part of the trough.
1. Stupakova A.V., Kalmykov G.A. et al., Domanic deposits of the Volga-Ural basin – types of section, formation conditions and prospects of oil and gas potential (In Russ.), Georesursy, 2017, Special Issue, pp. 112–124.
2. Zav'yalova A.P., Chupakhina V.V., Stupakova A.V. et al., Comparison of the Domanic outcrops in Volga-Ural and Timan-Pechora basins (In Russ.), Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Ser. 4. Geologiya = Moscow University Bulletin. Series 4. Geology, 2018, no. 6, pp. 57–73.
3. Varlamov A.I., Petersil'e V.I., Fortunatova N.K. et al., Temporal guidelines for calculating oil reserves in Domanik productive sediments (In Russ.), Nedropol'zovanie XXI vek, 2017, no. 4 (67), pp. 104–115.
4. Vassoevich N.B., Kornilova N.N., Chernyshev V.V., On the content of carbonaceous organic matter in the continental sector of the Earth's sedimentary shell (In Russ.), Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Ser. 4. Geologiya = Moscow University Bulletin. Series 4. Geology, 1973, no. 1, pp. 8–23.
5. Bazhenova T.K., Smeshannye porody, soderzhashchie nekarbonatnyy uglerod (Mixed rocks containing non-carbonate carbon), In: Sistematika i klassifikatsiya osadochnykh porod i ikh analogov ( Systematics and classification of sedimentary rocks and their analogues), St. Petersburg: Nedra Publ., 1998, pp. 265–269.
6. Kiryukhina T.A., Fadeeva N.P., Stupakova A.V. et al., Domanik deposits of Timano-Pechora and Volga-Ural basins (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza = The journal Oil and Gas Geology, 2013, no. 3, pp. 76–87.
7. Yusupova I.F., Fadeeva N.P., Shardanova T.A., The effect of increased concentration of organic matter on the rock properties (In Russ.), Georesursy, 2019, V. 21, no. 2, pp. 183–189.
8. Fadeeva N.P., Kozlova E.V., Poludetkina E.N. et al., Petroleum generation potential of the Domanik formation, Volga-Ural petroleum province (In Russ.), Vestnik Moskovskogo universiteta. Ser. 4. Geologiya = Moscow University Bulletin. Series 4. Geology, 2015, no. 6, pp. 44–52.
9. Ul'mishek G.F., Shalomeenko A.V., Kholton D.Yu. et al., Unconventional oil reservoirs in the Domanik formation of the Orenburg region (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza, 2017, pp. 67–78.
10. Fortunatova N.K., Shvets-Teneta-Gurii A.G., Bushueva M.A. et al., Methodology of lithologically screened and lithological oil and gas traps prediction in Upper Devonian-Tournaisian and Lower Permian carbonate plays of Eastern Volga-Urals Petroleum Province (In Russ.), Geologiya nefti i gaza, 2019, no. 3, pp. 23–38, DOI 10.31087/0016-7894-2019-2-5-21