The approbation of an economic and technological approach to assessing the effectiveness of pipeline operation is proposed to promote the development of benchmarking methods for trunk oil pipelines energy efficiency. Besides specific energy consumption, the approach also considers several parameters of operating costs which arise with the implementation of special oil transportation technologies. Methodologically, all the characteristic operating costs depending on the technological parameters of transportation are brought to their energy equivalent using relevant price indicators. This allows for a major expansion of the benchmarking methodology application area with regard to comparing operating efficiency of oil pipelines based on the efficiency factor of trunk oil pipelines process sections. As an example, this paper includes the results of an economic and technological efficiency analysis of a non-isothermal pipeline process section where an anti-turbulent additive is applied to improve the transportation capacity. Notably, the calculation of the pipeline thermal conditions takes into account the phenomenon of the transported oil being heated by friction when oil pipelines are operated under forced conditions and the fact that the presence of an anti-turbulent additive in the oil flow reduces the intensity of heat transfer to the pipeline’s internal wall. It is demonstrated that application of anti-turbulent additives to increase the transportation capacity becomes an economically viable measure only because of additional transportation volumes. Substantial factors limiting the application of the DR technology are the anti-turbulent additive cost and hot oil losses during the transshipment process at the final destination terminal. A range of anti-turbulent additive concentrations has been determined which allows to operate the oil pipeline at a high level of cost-effectiveness.
1. Revel'-Muroz P.A. et al., Assessing the hydraulic efficiency of oil pipelines according to the monitoring of process operation conditions (In Russ.), Nauka i tehnologii truboprovodnogo transporta nefti i nefteproduktov = Science & Technologies: Oil and Oil Products Pipeline Transportation, 2019, no. 1, pp. 9–19.
2. Revel'-Muroz P.A. et al., Estimation of the oil pumping technology effectiveness with drag reduction agents (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2020, no. 1, pp. 90–95.
3. Sunagatullin R.Z., Kutukov S.E., Gol'yanov A.I. et al., Control of oil rheological properties by exposure to physical methods (In Russ.), Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 2021, no. 1, pp. 92–97.
4. Kutukov S.E., Fridlyand Ya.M., Kriteriy energoeffektivnosti ekspluatatsii magistral'nogo nefteprovoda (Energy efficiency criterion for the operation of a main oil pipeline), Proceedings of V International Scientific and Practical Conference dedicated to the 20th anniversary of KAZTRANSOIL JSC, 2017, 42 p.
5. Sbornik zadach po gidravlike (Collection of problems in hydraulics): edited by Kolpakov L.G., Ufa: Neftegazovoe delo Publ., 2007, 120 p.
6. Tugunov P.I., Novoselov V.F., Transportirovanie vyazkikh neftey i nefteproduktov po truboprovodam (Transportation of viscous oils and petroleum products through pipelines), Moscow: Nedra Publ., 1983, 88 p.
7. RD-75.180.00-KTN-198-09. Unifitsirovannye tekhnologicheskie raschety ob"ektov magistral'nykh nefteprovodov i nefteproduktoprovodov (Unified technological calculations of objects of main oil pipelines and oil product pipelines), Moscow: Publ. of Giprotruboprovod, 2009, 207 p.
8. RD 39-30-139-79. Metodika teplovogo i gidravlicheskogo rascheta magistral'nykh truboprovodov pri statsionarnykh i nestatsionarnykh rezhimakh perekachki n'yutonovskikh i nen'yutonovskikh neftey v razlichnykh klimaticheskikh usloviyakh (Methodology for thermal and hydraulic calculation of trunk pipelines under stationary and non-stationary modes of pumping Newtonian and non-Newtonian oils in various climatic conditions), Ufa: Publ. of VNIISPTneft', 1979, 57 p.
9. Shtukaturov K.Yu., Ekonomiko-matematicheskoe modelirovanie vybora tekhnologicheskikh rezhimov truboprovoda (Economic and mathematical modeling of the choice of technological modes of the pipeline): thesis of candidate of physical and mathematical science, Ufa, 2004.
10. Pshenin V.V., Obosnovanie optimal'nykh rezhimov perekachki vysokovyazkikh neftey s predvaritel'nym podogrevom s uchetom kharakteristik tsentrobezhnykh nasosov (Substantiation of optimal pumping modes for high-viscosity oils with preheating, taking into account the characteristics of centrifugal pumps): thesis of candidate of technical science, St. Petersburg, 2014.
11. Zholobov V.V., Sinel'nikov S.V., Ignatenkova A.I., The prospects of dra for reducing the energy consumption of thermal stations in a "hot" pumping (In Russ.), Nauka i tehnologii truboprovodnogo transporta nefti i nefteproduktov = Science & Technologies: Oil and Oil Products Pipeline Transportation, 2019, no. 3, pp. 256–265.12. Bronshteyn I.S., Sviridov V.P., Rivkin P.R. et al., O poteryakh zapadnosibirskikh neftey iz rezervuarov magistral'nykh nefteprovodov (On the losses of West Siberian oils from the reservoirs of main oil pipelines), collected papers “Truboprovodnyy transport nefti Zapadnoy Sibiri” (Pipeline transportation of West Siberian oil), Ufa: Publ. of VNIISPTneft', 1983, pp. 65–68.